2017 Wheelchair/Hand Cycle Division Policy
The information listed in this policy has been created to promote the safety of all registered participants, sponsors, volunteers, vendors and spectators on the DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon race course.
Please note that wheelchairs and hand cycles are permitted on the Marathon course ONLY. No wheelchairs or hand cycles will be permitted on the Half Marathon course. No special accommodation requests will be accepted after the final Games Committee meeting on March 1, 2017. All inquiries and questions should be submitted to WheelDivDir@pittsburghmarathon.com.
PNC is proud to sponsor this year's Hand Cycle Division.
- The Division will be limited to 20 participants.
- Registration is now open for the Division.
- Participants must be able to complete the marathon course within 3 hours.
- Applicants will be subject to proof of qualifications.
- Participants must certify that they have a qualifying physical impairment that requires them to participate with a wheelchair or hand cycle.
- Participants must report what type of equipment they will be using and verify the equipment is in good working order.
- Division participants are required to start at the designated Official Wheelchair/Hand cycle Division start line.
- Participants must adhere to a 25 MPH speed limit on specific locations on the course or they will be removed from the event.
- Participants must finish at the finish line by 9:30 AM. Anyone arriving after 9:30 AM, will exit prior to the finish line and will be escorted to the finish line area.
- In the finish line area participants must not exceed a maximum speed of 6:00 minutes per mile. Participants finishing over that speed will be disqualified.
- Participants must wear a helmet at all times on the course.
- Participants not adhering to the minimum requirements will be asked to move to the right side of the road.
- It is the responsibility of the athlete to ensure that no part of their lower limbs can fall from their wheelchair or hand cycle to the ground or road during the event.
- Division participants will need to use extra caution when around runners.