Date: Sunday, May 7, 2017
Wheelchair Start: 6:50 AM
Marathon Start: 7:00 AM
|January 11 - February 1, 2017||$125|
- Packet Pickup
- Course Description
- Results & Awards
- Elite & Seeded Runners
- Wheelchair Division
Packet Pickup is located at the GNC Live Well Pittsburgh Health and Fitness Expo on Friday, May 5, 2017 and Saturday, May 6, 2017. Click here for Expo hours and location.
All marathon, half marathon and marathon relay participants will be emailed a race packet confirmation ticket 1-2 weeks prior to the race weekend notifying them of their race number. Kids marathon, 5K and pet walk race numbers are organized in alphabetical order and do not require a confirmation ticket.
Race packet confirmation tickets will NOT be mailed. Participants are required to provide the following items in order to retrieve their race packet:
1. Race packet confirmation ticket (electronic or hard copy)
2. Photo ID
Race numbers are also available for look-up via the DICK'S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon app OR by visiting the Race Number Look-Up kiosks located within the GNC Live Well Pittsburgh Health and Fitness Expo race weekend.
Pick Up For Another Participant
Participants may authorize another individual to retrieve the race packet on their behalf. The individual picking up the packet is required to show their photo ID along with providing the following items.
2. Participants race packet confirmation ticket (if available)
Construction in Pittsburgh will alter the 2017 Marathon course. We've already started a course redesign and will share it as soon as we are able.
Turn by turn directions for the course can be found here.
A map of the start corrals can be found here.
Pittsburgh is known for its rivers and bridges and the DICK'S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon course will not disappoint. You’ll cross Pittsburgh’s three rivers over five different bridges each with their own distinct architecture and incredible views of the city. Your tour of the city will take you through 13 different and unique neighborhoods featuring festivals, bands, and cheerathoners that will keep you motivated and smiling all the way to the finish line.
- USA Track & Field certified course
- Boston qualifier
- Fluid and medical aid stations are positioned along the course
- Water and Gatorade will be offered at every fluid station
- Power gels will be available at locations along the course
- Salty snacks such as potato chips or pretzels will be available at locations along the course
- No refunds or deferments of entry fees
- Minimum age for Marathon: 18 on May 7, 2017
- Paper/mail-in registrations will not be accepted after January 1, 2017
- Bicycles, skateboards, scooters, baby joggers, strollers, roller skates and roller blades are not permitted on the course
- Headphones (iPods, mp3 players, CDs, tape walkmans, radios, etc.) are discouraged
- Push rim and hand crank wheelchairs are permitted on the Marathon course ONLY; no wheelchairs are permitted on the Half Marathon course. Click here for more information.
Course Time Limits
City streets, police offices and support are contracted for specific times and cannot be extended. Some easy points to remember - all runners must be to the Birmingham Bridge by 10:20 AM and Half Marathoners must be at Mile 12, Forbes Avenue at Jumonville, by 11:00 AM.
If you cannot adhere to the permitted pace per mile , you will be asked to board a sweep vehicle that will take you to relay shuttle drop off area on Grant Street which is several blocks from the finish line. If you refuse to get on the vehicle, you must move to the sidewalk so traffic can resume. If you choose to continue after the course has reopened, there will be no medical support, fluid stations, or course marshals at intersections, and the course will no longer be marked. Participants after that time will not be guaranteed a time or medal.
The DICK'S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon has a zero tolerance drug policy.
Athletes who participate in DICK'S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon events may be subject to drug testing conducted by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). Athletes with positive drug test results will forfeit any prize money and will be disqualified from the event in which such athlete participated.
Race Results/Finishers Certificates
Congratulations to all of the 2016 participants! Click here to view results for Sunday, May 1, 2016.
Click on any event below to download your 2016 finisher certificate.
- DICK'S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon
- UPMC Health Plan Pittsburgh Half Marathon
- FedEx Ground Pittsburgh Marathon Relay
- UPMC Health Plan/UPMC Sports Medicine Pittsburgh 5K Run
Click here to see the official photos from our official photography partner MarathonFoto.
All finishing participants will receive a finisher medal.
To view the 2016 Marathon Prize Purse, click here.
Prizes will be awarded for the top three finishers for the Marathon in the following age categories for men and women: 19 & Under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79 and 80+
Clydesdale (Men over 200 pounds) and Athena Divisions (Women over 150 pounds) winners will be awarded in the following categories: Marathon Top 2 Male Over 40, Marathon Top 2 Male Under 40, Marathon Top 2 Female Over 40, Marathon Top 2 Female Under 40
*To be eligible competitors must weigh in at the GNC Live Well Pittsburgh Health and Fitness Expo on Friday, May 5, 2017 from 11:00 AM – 8:00 PM or Saturday, May 6, 2017 from 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM.
- Age category and Clydesdale/Athena awards are based on chip time not gun time.
- Awards will be mailed once official race results have been submitted. Please allow 3-4 weeks post-race for awards to be mailed out.
- Overall and Master category winners are not eligible for age group awards.
- U.S., PA and Steel City Road Runners (SCRR) are bonus categories and are eligible for overall prize money and age group awards.
- Steel City Road Runner members must be registered for the basic Membership or Run for a Reason Charity Membership by April 1, 2017 to be eligible for the Steel City Road Runner prize money.
For results from previous years, please click here.
We want to help you successfully meet your race goals this May! Whether it's completing the Marathon under 4 hours or beating the course time limits, we're offering training support to meet your needs. Check out the options below and find the one that's best for you.
Steel City Road Runners
The Steel City Road Runners is Pittsburgh's largest running club. RRCA and USATF certified coaches offer customized training plans for marathon and half marathon participants as well as for beginners. The group meets three times a week for speed workouts, tempo training and long runs. Click here for more information on the Steel City Road Runners
Galloway Training Program
The Galloway Training Program is open to anyone who is interested in running a marathon, half marathon, 5K or just getting started. The training group welcomes all levels, from beginners to Boston qualifiers. Participants will follow a customized training plan and join the Steel City Road Runners for Saturday morning group runs. For more information, please email email@example.com
Elite and Seeded Runners Division
To qualify as a seeded runner, a URL must be provided with race results meeting the following requirements:
- Seeded Male = 6:30 minute mile or under
- Seeded Female = 7:29 minute mile or under
*Results must be for half marathon or greater and in the 2016 or 2017 calendar year.
If you would like to be considered for a seeded position, please include your qualifying URL when you register. If you do not provide a qualifying URL (as stated above) or the link does not work, you will not receive a seeded position. The seeding deadline is March 31, 2017. You will be notified via email the week of April 20, 2017 if you have been approved for a seeded position. There are a limited number of seeded spots available. Decisions will be made based on finish times and then registration date. Please email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Seeded Runner”.
Elite Athlete Program
The 2017 DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon and UPMC Health Plan Pittsburgh Half Marathon elite field is by invitation only. Acceptance into the program is not based solely on time. Entry is based on recent performance, potential finish and the discretion of the Elite Athlete Committee.
Please contact email@example.com if you would like to be considered for the 2017 DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon or the UPMC Health Plan Pittsburgh Half Marathon elite field.
Click here to review the entire Wheelchair/Handcycle Division Policy and to register.