More than 40,000 runners, ages 2 to 87, participated in the 2017 weekend of events; Run for a Reason Charity Program presented by Bank of America raises $1.4 million-plus
PITTSBURGH - At the 9th DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon, tens of thousands of runners crossed the finish line, making the May 6 - 7, 2017 weekend of events the most successful to-date. More than 40,000 runners signed up for the DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon, UPMC Health Plan Pittsburgh Half Marathon, FedEx Ground Pittsburgh Marathon Relay, UPMC Health Plan/UPMC Sports Medicine Pittsburgh 5K Run, Toyota Pittsburgh Kids Marathon, Sheetz Pittsburgh Toddler Trot and the Rachael Ray Nutrish Pittsburgh Pet Walk.
“We are proud and thrilled that these runners of steel had the best experience possible in the City of Champions,” said Patrice Matamoros, P3R CEO and race director of the DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon. “Also a big thank you to our sponsors, our volunteers, the city, the spectators and especially the runners for showing the power of this community event and reinforcing Pittsburgh’s position as the 7th best U.S. running city!”
GNC Live Well Pittsburgh Health and Fitness Expo
- This year’s GNC Live Well Pittsburgh Health and Fitness Expo showcased more than 125 vendors and 65,000 visitors.
- More than 1,300 runners earned a special bonus medal for completing the STEEL Challenge: running the UPMC Health Plan/UPMC Sports Medicine Pittsburgh 5K Run on Saturday, May 6 and then completing any of the three races that took place on Sunday, May 7.
Social Media Center
- During race week, Pittsburgh Marathon social content on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram received more than 6.6 million impressions from more than 200,000 people, an engagement high
- #GameOnPGH trended nationally and locally during race weekend.
- The Pittsburgh Marathon trended nationally during race weekend.
- There were over 36,900 minutes of Facebook video viewed (equivalent to 615 hours or 26.62 days - a marathon of time!)
3rd Annual District Duel
- For the third consecutive year, Councilman Dan Gilman’s team “Team Gilman” won the District Duel title with a FedEx Ground Pittsburgh Marathon Relay time of 3:14:37.
- DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon – 4,527 runners
- UPMC Health Plan Pittsburgh Half Marathon –15,638 runners
- FedEx Ground Pittsburgh Marathon Relay – 1,045 teams participated
- UPMC Health Plan/UPMC Sports Medicine Pittsburgh 5K Run – 3,670 runners, an event record
- The Pittsburgh Marathon Handcycle Division presented by PNC had a record-tying 24 finishers.
- Toyota Pittsburgh Kids Marathon – More than 6,200 kids from 150 schools and organizations throughout Western Pennsylvania ran the last Mile of a 26.2 mile training plan as part of the Kids of STEEL program; plus several thousand parents and adults participated.
- The 2nd Sheetz Pittsburgh Toddler Trot had 500 participants, also an event record.
- The Rachael Ray Nutrish Pittsburgh Pet Walk had 200 dogs/owners.
- 20 countries, 49 states and Washington, DC were represented.
- Since 2009, the DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon weekend of events has had over 264,500 runners. That is almost the population of Pittsburgh!
In 2018 and 2019, Pittsburgh will host the USATF Half Marathon Championships, which will run concurrently with the DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon weekend of events, bringing the best runners in the country to the City of Champions.
More than $100,000 in prize money was awarded to elite athletes running the DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon and the UPMC Health Plan Pittsburgh Half Marathon. P3R’s American Development Program (ADP) also offered $40,500 to the top five U.S. runners, provided time standards were reached.
- Jacob Chemtai (KEN), 2:15:25, $8000
- Ayantu Dakebo Hailemaryam (ETH), 2:36:20, $8000
Half Marathon Champions
- Cyrus Korir (KEN), 1:04:14, $6500
- Gladys Kipsoi (KEN), 1:12:09, $6500
- 2,800 runners raised more than $1.4 million dollars for charities through the Run for a Reason Charity Program presented by Bank of America. Since the marathon was reinstated in 2009, runners have raised more than $10 million for charities.
- 14 neighborhoods participated in race day celebrations along the course.
- City Council District 9, which is home to East Liberty, Homewood, Friendship, Garfield, Point Breeze North and Larimer had the highest percentage of participants. One out of every 24 residents ran during race weekend.
- 10 official #GameOnPGH bloggers documented their training experience leading up to race day with nearly 200,000 unique impressions.
FUTURE P3R EVENT DATES
- 6th GNC Live Well Liberty Mile – Friday, July 28
- 5th EQT Pittsburgh 10 Miler – Sunday, November 5
- 10th DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon – Sunday, May 6, 2018
For more information, including 2018 registration, go to: ThePittsburghMarathon.com
About the Pittsburgh Three Rivers Marathon, Inc. (P3R)
P3R is a nonprofit organization that is passionate about promoting the love of running and enhancing community access to health & fitness education and activities. Best known for organizing the acclaimed annual DSG Pittsburgh Marathon, we also run a variety of other high-quality races, events and health & fitness programs throughout the Pittsburgh region. While many of our races attract some of the nation’s highest-profile professional athletes, we offer activities for all ages and ability levels. The only criterion for participation is a desire to be happy, healthy and active! Learn more at: P3R.org